Basic University of Education , Winneba Facts
- UEW LIBRARY
The University Library being an integral part of the University has a vision that is fundamental to that of the University.
The University of Education, Winneba Libraries include Osagyefo Library (the main campus library), College of Technology Education Library-Kumasi Campus (Which stock mainly materials on technical and vocational education), College of Agriculture Education Library – Mampong Campus (stocks materials on agric and environmental studies education), College of Languages Education Library – Ajumako Campus (stocks materials on language education), and 5 specialized branch and department libraries. Our Collections include Books, Journals, Compact Disks etc in Electronic and Hard Copy Forms.
The first choice for information and research in the University
This is in consonance with the vision of the University which is to be an internationally reputable institution for teacher education and research.
To facilitate access to all forms of information by continuous improvement of resources and expertise to meet customers’ needs, promote information literacy skills within the University, foster cooperation through local, national, international networking and also to support teaching, learning, research, administration and other University activities.
- Professional Leadership: The University Library seeks to provide leadership in library service to the University Community ensuring that the University has access to information needed for it to attain the highest academic standards of teaching, learning and research.
- Partnership: An effective partnership with all stakeholders is a prerequisite to an effective and efficient service delivery. The University Library therefore works with faculty, students, and external bodies to provide a service that is easy to use independently on and off campus.
- Quality Assurance: The University Library shares a commitment to quality in whatever is done. The staff is empowered to reach their full potential.
- Flexibility: The Library has a variety of welcoming and flexible learning spaces which inspire learning and scholarship.
- Gender Mainstreaming Directorate
The Gender Mainstreaming Directorate was set up in support of effort to promote gender equity at various levels of the educational arena in Ghana and to ensure that gender gains the needed focus in various university activities.
The Gender Mainstreaming Directorate shall be recorgnized internationally as an icon in Gender Mainstreaming in higher education.
To be a centre of excellence, which create and sustains an environment and culture which ensures gender sensitivity and equity for the benefit of, UEW, Ghana and the international community.
The ultimate goal of the Gender Mainstreaming Directorate is to promote and facilitate gender equity and equality and women’s empowerment at the University of Education, Winneba.
- To promote gender equality and women’s empowerment in UEW
- To enhance UEW’s ability to respond to gender issues
- To facilitate the integration of gender into UEW’s curricular and activities
- To engender partnerships and make UEW Visible
- Gender Sensitization and awareness
- Gender Capacity building Mentoring
- women’s professional development
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Gender and HIV/AIDS
MAJOR SUPPORT SCHEMES
- Scholarships for Female Science Students
- Scholarships for Female Faculty to pursue PhD programmes
- Mentoring Schemes for Female Senoir Members
- Sponsorship for Female Senoir Members to attend local and international conferences
- Short term appointmant for experienced female professors from foreign universities
- Support for the professional development of women in UEW
- Educational campaigns on gender based violence
- Gender Club
OUTREACH PROGRAMMES & NETWORKING
- Radio Talk Shows on gender issues on Radio Windy Bay
- Gender Newsletters, Flyers, Posters
- Website www.uew.edu.gh
- Partnership with NGOs to empower women in the deprived communities near Winneba
- Sensitization os school children and other youth groups
- Members of African Universities Gender Resource Network (AUGERN)
- The University Logo
The principal motif of the University Crest, the “AdinkraNtesie” is a Ghanaian cultural symbol associated with wisdom and knowledge as the essential ingredients of education.
Arising from the “Adinkra” motif is a torch radiating its light in all directions, suggesting that the knowledge nurtured at the University would become a source of enlightenment to all people far and wide. It is a flame that would dispel the darkness of ignorance.
The Starburst motif of the Crest is made up of different wave lengths and conveys the idea that teachers trained by the University would disperse into every corner of the country and render services to all Ghanaians irrespective of social status, religion or sex.
The red colour combines with the blue against a background of pure white to symbolise hard work and perseverance. All the symbols are set in a circle bearing the motto: Education for Service and symbolising the completeness of training at the University of Education, Winneba.