National Council For Technical Education (NACTE) Administration
Functionary, the organisation structure of NACTE comprises of the Council, Subject Boards and Committees. The Council is the highest decision-making organ. It is responsible for overseeing the operations and activities of NACTE in order to ensure that established objectives are realised. The Council comprises of the Chairperson, who is appointed by the President of the United Republic of Tanzania, and other members who are appointed by the Minister for Education, Science and Technology.
The Council of National Council for Technical Education consists of eleven (11) Councilors, apart from the Executive Secretary; no other member holds executive positions in the Council. The Council is the overall policy making organ of the National Council for Technical Education and ensures that all planned activities are implemented as planned. The Council is required by law to meet at least four times a year. The management of the daily business is the responsibility of the Secretariat headed by the Executive Secretary.
The Council is committed to the principles of effective corporate governance. Councilors also recognize the importance of integrity, transparency and accountability. During the year the Governing Council of National Council for Technical Education has the following Sub-Committees to ensure a high standard of corporate governance throughout the Council.
The current Council was reconstituted in September, 2017 and the tenure of the Council members is three (3) years and any member may be re-appointed.
The Executive Secretary is the Chief Executive Officer of the Secretariat, his office shall be responsible for the general direction, administration and supervision of the Council’s resources and operations.
Curriculum Development and Assessment
The Curriculum Development and Assessment Department (CDAD) is ultimately responsible for the complete process of curricula development, validation and review, custody of approved examinations records. It is also responsible for provision of guidance and assistance to institutional curriculum developers and reviewers, provide training and guidance to teaching staff, external moderators and management of TIs on matters related to implementation of the approved curricula and assessment.
The department is divided into Four sections:
- Curriculum Development Guidance;
- Curriculum Validation and Custody;
- Curriculum Delivery and Training; and
- Curriculum Assessment.
Institution Guidance and Support
The Institutional Guidance and Support Department (IGSD) is established to perform the tasks of providing guidance, public awareness and assist/nurture technical institutions by ensuring that institutions are given necessary support to acquire full registration status. This department is also a secretariat to the Subject Boards, and hence facilitates them to perform their functions.
Institutional Guidance and Support is served by four Subject Boards:-
- Science and Allied Technologies (SAT);
- Business Management, Tourism and Planning (BTP);
- Health and Allied Sciences (HAS); and
- Teachers Education and Learning Facilitation (TLF).
Information, Research and Planning
Information, Research and Planning Department (IRPD) The department is responsible for development and coordination all matters pertaining to information, marketing, research, budgeting and planning of matters related to TI and Council’s functions. It is also responsible for provision of technical support to the Secretariat on matters related to IT, Printing and Qualifications Assessments.
The Department is structured into three main sections:
- Research and Planning Section
- PR and Front Office Management
- Quantification Assessment
Compliance, Monitoring & Evaluation
The Compliance Monitoring and Evaluation Department (CMED) is responsible for quality assurance in technical institutions. Its functions include among others accreditation of programmes and implementation of institutional academic quality standards as well as coordinating admission articulation of students and Institutional Staffing Quality.
The department is divided into four Units:
Academic Quality Audit Unit
Admission and Articulation Unit
Institutional Staffing Quality
Programmes Accreditation and Recognition
National Council For Technical Education (NACTE) Divisions/Units
Human Resource and Administration Division
The Human Resources Management and Administration Division is a service division with the responsibility of advising the Executive Secretary on all matters pertaining to human resources and administration and estates management.
The division of Human Resources Management and Administration is subdivided into three main sections namely:
a) Human Resources Management;
b) Printing Unit; and
c) Office Administration
Finance and Accounts Division
The Finance and Accounts Division is a service division that has the responsibility of facilitating proper financial management and operations of the Council. It is also responsible for advising the Executive Secretary on all matters pertaining to finance and accounts as well as assisting line departments to smoothly carry out their financial operations.
The division is subdivided into three main sections namely:
- Revenue; and
- Cash Office;
Procurement and Management Unit
Procurement and Management Unit is Responsible for procurement, supply and storage of goods and services.
Internal Audit Unit
Internal Audit Unit is responsible for Advising and assisting the CEO in maintaining internal controls.
Compliance and Enforcement Unit
Compliance and Enforcement Unit is Responsible for legal enforcement of regulations of the Council.
National Council For Technical Education (NACTE) Zonal Offices
There are Six (6) Zonal Offices namely’ Coastal Zone (Dar es Salaam, Coast Region, Morogoro, Mtwara and Lindi), Northern Zone(Tanga, Kilimanjaro, Arusha and Manyara), Lake Zone (Mwanza, Mara, Kagera, Geita, Simiyu and Shinyanga),Southern Highlands Zone (Mbeya, Songwe, Iringa, Njombe, Rukwa, Katavi and Ruvuma), Central Zone (Dodoma, Singida, Tabora and Kigoma) and Zanzibar.
- Sensitize and guide institutions on registration, recognition and accreditation;
- Assess applications for initial or upgrading registration;
- Conduct physical verification visits for registration, recognition of department and accreditation of programmes;
- Conduct physical verification visits for recognition of cross border programmes;
- Process recognition of Departments within accredited technical institutions and Universities offering NTA;
- Prepare and submit registration, recognition and accreditation reports to the respective subject CEO;
- Update the register of technical institutions and Universities offering NTA programmes;
- Guide training institution on development and review of competence based curricula;
- Conduct pedagogical training for technical teachers using Competence Based Curriculum;
- Conduct academic quality to determine institutional compliance to NACTE academic quality standards;
- Guide and process admission and inter-college transfer of students in training institution offering National Technical Awards (NTA) programmes;
- Collect examination results from training institutions offering National Technical Awards (NTA) programmes and populate into database;
- Guide applicants on evaluation of non-NTA and foreign programmes for establishing equivalence to NTA programmes;
- Follow-up implementation of Harmonized Scheme of Service for Technical Teachers;
- Sensitize and process applications for registration of technical teachers and technicians supporting academic functions;
- Guide development of Governance and Administrative structures in-line with harmonize scheme of service for technical teachers;
- Act as a liaison office between stakeholders of technical institutions in respective zone and the Council;
- Perform human resource, administration, finance, procurement management and supplies functions and manage office equipment.
The Zonal Offices are headed by Zonal Incharge.